Today I received my next batch of seeds! I was surprised that they arrived in only about 8 days from Australia. When I order seeds from the United States it usually takes about four weeks to clear the border.
The first set of seeds is Adansonia digitata (African Baobab). Three of the eleven seeds I received clearly would not germinate. This was obvious from visual inspection but I floated the seeds in water and the same three were the only seeds to float. Afterwards I tried ripping open those three seeds with my hands and it was quite easy so I threw them out. For the remainder of the seeds I boiled some water in a kettle and then poured it over them for about 30 seconds in a collander. I then placed them in water to soak overnight and I'll plant them tomorrow. The soil will be about 50% sand as good drainage is essential.
The next seed variety is Laburnum vossii (Laburnum watereri, Goldenchain Tree). I have found a lot of conflicting information on germinating these plants. These seeds are small but have hard coats. They would be very difficult to scarify so I'm going to try soaking them for several days. The adult plant resembles Wisteria but in the form of a tree. It is a very beautiful plant that is covered with yellow flowers throughout late spring and early summer. I'm going to use a general potting mix
The last few seeds are mystery seeds. I think they may be Trachycarpus fortunei (Chinese Windmill Palm), but they are atleast five years old and may have extremely poor germination. I should be able to identify the actual species when they sprout. I'm going to use a general potting mix with about 1/3 sand.
The seeds soaking (baobab left, mystery centre, laburnum right).