Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hymenocallis caribaea

Today I noticed that a seed pod from one of our Mymenocallis caribaea bulbs had ripened so I harvested it. It had two large healthy green seeds as well as a smaller one that I'll try to plant but I don't think it will grow. This plant is tropical and needs very high amounts of water (it makes a good bog plant). Minimum temperatures are said to be about 4.5C.

Even though the plant enjoys wet roots, it prefers sandy well drained soil. The flowers of this plant are very elegant but it likely won't flower again for several months so I have included a picture of the seeds below. They don't look ready to me but the stem had dried and wilted and all the information that I've found has said to plant them as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails