Thursday, February 9, 2012

Pomegranate (Punica granatum) Seedling Update



My pomegranate seedlings have been growing quickly.  Today I noticed they are already starting to branch!  You can see clearly that the middle/back seedling is starting to branch from the seed leaves.  This is crazy!  I've never seen any plant do this so quickly and not even from the adult leaves.  I expect these pomegranate seedlings will really take off in the next few weeks.  Hopefully at some point I'll actually get them to fruit.  The local greenhouses have a dwarf variety which fruits regularly so I'm willing to bet thees will too.  Pomegranates are also grown as ornamentals and can even be crafted into bonsai.  I hope to try out the bonsai option some time in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for contributing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails