It's been a while since I've done a full on plant update so I figured it was about time!
I'll start with what I did today. There is a large mulberry tree in Cottonwood Community Garden. It's currently covered with mulberries. James and I LOVE mulberries. I noticed a branch that was hanging really low (into a hydrangea) and decided why not try some cuttings.
Apparently they are quite easy to start. It's recommended to try in spring or summer but I figured why not try now. You can see they are different sizes so hopefully the variety will end with something that roots. Each twig has at least two buds in the soil.
Now for the Trachycarpus fortunei sprouts. I've counted a total of 14! There aren't any actual leaves yet but I'm still excited. They won't even have leaves resembling a fan for at least two years. Some of the seeds were picked off a tree and the others were grabbed from the ground (probably one and two years old, so not very fresh). I don't think I'll split them up until after the second leaves are out.
BTW My landlords are gone so may plants are strewn across their yard. You can see their children's toys randomly scattered in some of the pictures.