Monday, April 5, 2010
Adenium arabicum Update IX (228 Days) Mega Transplant!
I figured it was about time to finally transplant my Adenium arabicum into individual pots. They've shared pots for about 228 days and it's been long enough. The largest actually grew into the lights and is a little burnt. Now I'm sorry about the billions of pictures but I couldn't help it. These are probably my favourite plants right now. They're basically my babies. I was originally planning to keep about 4 or 5. NOPE. I let the two saddest go and that was the best I could do. I'll donate two or so to the UWO Greenhouses too.
For the soil mix I used about 2 parts cacti mix, 1 part aquarium gravel and 1 part orchid mix. My last mix had 50% of the cacti mix substituted for a peat based mix. I needed my peat based soil for my Brugmansia. I tried not to interfere with the roots but the soil fell away very easily. After everything was planted I gave them a good soaking in the tub. I love the diversity of these plants. I think I also have one plant that's a dwarf variety. It has really tiny leaves compared to the others.
Hopefully they won't lose their leaves and go dormant. I transplanted the four largest a few weeks earlier and they stopped growing for about two weeks but didn't drop their leaves. They have since resumed and are doing well. Hopefully I'll get some flowers this summer. Now just two more pictures. I moved them around a few times to make sure everything would fit. They look great! I love that I grew these all from seed and they've done so well!