Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Surprising Orchid (Stanhopea spp.)

Today was my first day back in the greenhouses and while fertilizing I noticed these beautiful flowers that I had never seen before. I have no idea what the name of this orchid is. I didn't even know it was an orchid and had just though it was a leafy epiphyte. While the leaves grow vertically or horizontally, the flowers droop from the sides and bottom.

Below you can see a picture of this unlikely plant. I'm delighted that such an inconspicuous plant can produce such lovely flowers. There are many more of these in the greenhouse and hopefully more will begin to flower. This one doesn't receive full sun and hangs above our little fish pond in the large tropical greenhouse.

Sorry about the quality. It was cloudy this morning and pictures never look good with the flash on. I managed fertilize the entire greenhouse before class in record time! It required a lot of jogging but I made it to my first class. I'll start earlier from now on so there is more picture time.

2 comments:

  1. cool blog, and I liked your link to American Irish, sweet. The Orchid you show is most likely a Stanhopea, there are orchid fanatics that only grow these, many kinds are available.I'll be back, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the plant ID! I updated the post title. I'm not even going to try to identify the variety, there are just too many.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for contributing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails